Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bedfellows

I wish you were my pillow -
Where I could fluff you up, lay my head and dream.
Not like my old feather pillow, zippered in its quilted sheath.
Worn and torn, feathers spilling all over my bed.
- It makes my nose itch.

Nor the frumpy foam pillow -
I bought at Walmart with its placidly plaid case
But it matched the sheets on sale that matched the comforter
that my great aunt bought for me for Christmas.
- On sale at Walmart.

Or like this full body pillow -
All lushly long and seductively slender and lean.
It's a little too long and a little too slender and a little too lean.
and there is certainly no body. In this pillow
-There to hold on to

I wish you were my pillow -
Where I could fluff you up, lay my head and dream.
You don’t leak feathers in bed, you don’t wear plaid pajamas
But even if you did it’s mostly because you
- Don’t need fluffing.

© Charles Coakley Simpson 2009

No comments: